Sunday, June 14, 2009

Welcome to My Brain

I truly did have intentions on starting to blog more regularly…apparently, however, I haven’t been able to muster up the discipline to do so. I think I also got a bit discouraged when I read in some article somewhere that some woman somewhere makes more money than me annually simply from blogging. Normally I am one who is up for any type of friendly competition, but for some reason rather than light a fire under my butt it just made me think, “really???” And that “really???” thought turned into “damn, she must have some super insightful/witty/intelligent things to say in order to make that much money,” which turned into, “damn, I wish I had more insightful/witty/intelligent things to say in order to make that much money from blogging,” which probably led me to drink a beer or eat a cookie cookies to try to muster up some more insightful/witty/intelligent things to say.

I think I thought of some. But the work of trying get those thoughts into printed form seemed like a bit too much work. Like I said, what I really need to muster up is some discipline.

Besides the lack of discipline is the fact that I have a fast brain. Now I’m not trying to toot my own horn (though I did kick butt in 3rd grade ‘speed math’ competitions, which made up for being picked last for most PE events…well, almost made up for), it simply is a fact: the only thing my body manages to do quickly is think. Again, these thoughts aren’t necessarily all insightful/witty/intelligent. For example, the other night I was sitting at an outdoor concert under this h-u-g-e white tent and at one point my thoughts drifted from wondering why the tent was so huge, to wondering what on earth I would ever want embroidered, to wondering why I always think of that Rick Moran movie Honey I Shrunk the Kids! when I stare at the grass, to wondering if I ever really want kids, to wondering if my now divorced parents ended up buying burial plots next each other and if so what happens with that now, to wondering what kind of chemicals were in the treats that Joel bought at the party store, to thinking that the concert was much more enjoyable now because of said treats. And this was probably all within 15 seconds.

See, I don’t necessarily stay on one thought too long. Wellll, that’s not entirely true. There do seem to be some thoughts in my life that—despite all my best efforts—have outstayed there welcome. The point is, however, that I have had many thoughts of relatively insightful/witty/intelligent things to write since my last post but before I get a chance to write them I am on to something else.

But I am determined to become more disciplined. And to realize that not every blog needs to be super insightful/witty/intelligent (I once simply posted a picture from a menu for crying out loud!) because the reality is that I am never going to become a self-employed blogger.

So here’s to yet another attempt to become more disciplined…which I’ll get to it as soon as I bake some more cookies.

0 comments: