Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bicycle Girl

This is one of the loves of my life: my red bike.





I love it because it is red. I love its practical and savvy milk crate (that makes me feel a bit rebellious as a misuse it). I love it because it saves me money on gas. And I love that it was found at a garage sale.

Living a half mile from my office I truly have zero excuse not to walk or bike to work. This has been great for me because I can be quick to buy into excuses, and there is something about not driving every day that makes me feel healthier. While some of this is perhaps due to the fact that not driving means that I am more active, I know there is more to it than that. After days of not driving anywhwere I feel more connected…to myself, to the earth, to my neighborhood and community…it just feels right, like it’s the way it is supposed to be.

A few weeks ago I was introduced to a neighbor who lives around the corner and down the block. Upon being introduced she gave me the “I’m-trying-to-place-you-and-will-work-it-out-in-my-head-before-resorting-to-ask-you” look. After a few seconds she exclaimed, “Oh! Are you Bicycle Girl?”

Little did she know that she had just issued me the best compliment I had received all summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the milk crate! Can you tell me how you attached it so it is secure?

Kate D said...

Easy...bungee cords!