Tuesday, July 14, 2009

View From My Desk

This is what I look at when I sit down at the desk in my office:
A bulletin board full of faces and places I love...quotes to challenge and inspire...and little bits of love and encouragement from the faces and places I love.

No real complaints about this bulletin board. It was a bit of a labor of love to get it covered with a fabric remnant I found (and though it was a steal of a deal, I still wish I had splurged the extra 50 cents for another piece) and it gives me a place to stare when I am procrastinating this, that and the other thing.

What I have been wondering lately, however, is when do you take things down from the bulletin board and replace them with other things? As I have stared a lot at this sucker this summer (summer has a knack for allowing me to perfect my procrastinating skills) I have simply been wondering what I might want to replace. But then, what do you do with the things you take down? Throw them away?

I some of the same thoughts when it comes to framed pictures. I love, love the pictures I have in my apartment but some of them are o.l.d. and I have some new pictures that I would love to put up but don't want boatloads of frames around my house and can't bear to take down some of the old ones.

One thing I wonder is if the resistance to changing these things is part of wanting things to stay the same. And since I have been in a bit of a mindset of "I Liked Things Better the Way They Were Before" for oh about...an entire year now...maybe it makes sense that I don't want to change some things. But let's get real: I don't really like snow and it is summer. The cut-out snowflake could easily go.

Lest you think I search for a deeper meaning behind everything I do/think, I also readily acknowledge that part of the "resistance" to changing these things might be better known by another term: laziness. And, I realize that if this is the extent of my problems (knowing when to put up new pictures), it means I'm having a pretty good day. Meanwhile, if you see something you would like (note: I refuse to part with the large, naked Barbie on the chaise lounge) let me know...it might help solve my dilemma.

0 comments: