Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Spreek je Nederlands?

After a day of travel, I am in Africa. It still baffles me how you can wake up one morning in one country and then go to sleep that night (or maybe the next night...I think I lost a day in there somehow) on the other side of the world. Travel went very smoothly and the big highlight was that on the second long flight there was an empty seat next to me so I had a place to put my legs. Another highlight was that I got to live into my cultural roots a bit--the flight attendent on KLM spoke to me in Dutch for the duration of the 8 hour flight. Apparently I look Dutch (go figure) and since my end of the conversation consisted of one word responses ('water,' 'yes,' 'pasta') or a smile and a nod, I kept him going on the Dutch thing. I am glad he never asked point blank if I were Dutch. I would have felt pretty stupid saying that yes, technically I am Dutch, I live in a place called Holland, I own wooden shoes and know some Dutch dance moves, but I only know one Dutch word (gezellig).

I am moving on from Dutch, however, into Swahili. I have already had about 5 encounters where I felt like a stupid white person and I haven't even been anywhere except the airport and Paul & Elizabeth's house. No worries, Paul just handed me a Simplified Swahili book. Something tells me, however, that no one is going to mistake me for a Tanzanian anytime soon...

5 comments:

julianaelse said...

So glad you made it! What great adventures and stories, you Dutch girl!
Sophie says, "Hi Kate! How are you doing? Hope you are having a good time. Have fun in Africa. Bye. I love you!"
I think she is hoping you see her imaginary friend, Salee who lives in Africa.
Tell Paul and Elizabeth hello, and tell Elizabeth we still listen to "Chapel Stars"!

Get some good rest--you made it!
Love you!

kate said...

YESS!!! You're alive!

So am I, after a terrifying chapel experience. Miss you already, but don't worry. I had a voice in my head before chapel saying, "Seriously, Kate? It's not that big of a deal." It was not as effective as you actually being there.

I can't believe someone thought you were Dutch!! About as bizarre as the immigration guy when I was in Amsterdam, saying, "Do you speak Dutch?" and I said "No," and he said in an annoyed voice, "Why not?" Which is valid. I think it's because I feel so strongly about the US being English-only. Don't you? Oh, wait, these comments are public...

Unknown said...

Glad you got there OK. I'm so excited for you. Good luck with Swahili. Miss you already.

zenner's said...

mimi ni Chelsea. and I JUST found out you have a blog. Good LORD hug elizabeth and paul tightly for me... and the whole of East Africa for that matter. sigh miss you, them, and there.

Lindsey said...

Hi Kate,
I am excited to hear you made it safely, and of course have great stories about the trip. I can't wait to hear about your experiences over the next few months.