Friday, December 14, 2007

Lessons from Ethiopia

I just spent a few days in Ethiopia with my friend Heidi, her husband and her one-year old. Heidi and I have been friends since Kindergarten and I was so thrilled to be able to see her life in Ethiopia. I was only able to be there for 3 full days, I learned (at least) 3 valuable lessons.

Lesson #1: if having people help you move, it is helpful to have packed before they arrive OR at least have boxes on hand.
The first day we went out of Addis to help some of their friends move. I have helped people move in developing countries before and realize that things don’t have to be super neatly packed as it all gets piled on the back of a truck. But, boxes are helpful. Upon arrival, Heidi and I were asked to pack up the kitchen and given one box, some plastic bags and a duffle bag. After a bit, I quickly learned lesson #1b: no need to have 17 cans of cooking spray and IF someone keeps send it to you, politely tell them you have plenty.

Lesson #2: don’t always believe guide books.
Heidi and I decided to venture down to “Africa’s largest open air market” and read (and were told) it was not advisable to go without a guide to navigate it all and to help translate. Heidi hadn’t ever been down there, so we thought about it but then decided to go on our own. A few mini-bus rides later and we were there. I haven’t gotten over my “not wanting to look like a tourist complex” so I didn’t take any pictures but there were many I wish I had taken. Like the one of alley lined with the mamas sitting behind their barrels of spices and, in the middle of the alley, two boys washing each others’ hair. Or of the moment when, minding my own business at the minibus stop, I was about knocked over by a pack of donkeys. Or in the tailor section of the market where the alley was lined with sewing machines and the young men sewing were showing off their skills to the young women who crowded around the machines. It was a great morning. And, we found everything we wanted to find and got a great price (I have always been a fan of bargaining) all without a guide.

Lesson #3: The Ark of the Covenant is in Addis Ababa.


Okay, maybe not. But, that is what we were told we were looking at when toured the oldest (120 years) church in Addis. It was a cool church, but I am not so convinced about the Ark.

As I am writing this, I realize that there are many other things I learned…and the ones that stand out the most are that cute kids always win the favor of others and it is C.H.E.A.P. to eat in Addis. So get on over there because I know some people who you can stay with who happen to have a cute kid and know of a lot of great restaurants.

0 comments: