Friday, December 21, 2007

The One Where My Sister Offers Me as a Guilt Offering at an African Wedding

So there I was, minding my own business, in line for food at the reception of the wedding that my sister and Jaxon flew over to Africa for. We actually managed to miss the ENTIRE ceremony (that is another story...but not really a story, it was just a big 'welcome to Africa things are different here' moment). So we are in line and one of Jaxon's friends is talking with my sister. He is giving her a hard time about not being invited to Sarah's wedding (in a fun, joking manner) and Sarah's reply (direct quote), "I'm sorry...but hey, to make up for it I brought you my sister. Here she is!"

Come again?

Not sure how you respond to that one. I smile and shake his hand and then proceed to spend the rest of the wedding festivities trying to avoid awkward conversation with the guy. It was mostly awkward because it was super loud and I said, "huh?" or "sorry?" about every other sentence because I couldn't understand him. At one point it took me a good five minutes to realize that he was talking about "hawkers" in the city streets (guys selling used goods) not "hookers."

Oh well. I did politely ask my sister that the next time she decides to offer me to a guy that she runs it by me first. Or, at least asks what we could get in return. I was told once that I could easy fetch 200 cows as a bride price. I thought that seemed like a nice compliment.

In my sister's defense, she had just taken her exams early, flown to the other side of the world in the span of two days and missed the wedding she had flown over for. In case you words don't quite do justice to that disappointment, here is a picture. In the background is the wedding tent where an announcement is being made about how we are going to process over to the reception:

4 comments:

tommyd said...

If a picture is worth a 1000 words, this photo tells Sarah's side very well...and KD in a 1000 words or less, aptly sums up her side as well...

Couple of my own thoughts...I love my girls = but I'll just let this story live in our family lore with only one comment - Kate, you are worth FAR more than a herd of cows!

Great to have the blogger back home!!!

td

Kathryn Schoon-Tanis said...

i knew that coach d. would agree with me that you, my beloved friend, are worth WAY more than 200 cows. plus, i'm pretty sure coach can't keep those in holland heights. although phil has an "in" with the city manager, so maybe he could work something out for you.
blessings and smooches on your Christmas. so glad you are safely home.
kst

Cotton Wool & Silk said...

Besides saying what other have -- that you're worth way more than 200 cows -- actually more than 2 million -- I mostly want to say how hilariously funny you are and that I hope that I get to read your words for a long, long time.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Great. And now the world knows what a wonderful sister I am. And I wouldn't say guilt offering... just friendly banter at your expense. Have I told you that I loved you lately.

By the way I have a great picture of the actual moment. Dan was taking pictures while we were talking to Dash.