Friday, December 14, 2007

Things that make you go hmm....

December 3, 2007
Things that make you go hmmm….

A week ago I was making plans to visit my friend Heidi in Ethiopia. Making plans in Africa (especially travel plans) somehow manages to be both challenging and easy at the same time. I had gone in to check on flights a few weeks prior and was assured that I didn’t need to purchase the ticket at that moment because “the prices never change.” Perfect. But last week when I went to purchase the ticket, wouldn’t you know it, the price had jumped big time. No worries, however, it just meant I had to fly a different route and all was fine. Since I was planning on flying in less than a week,
thought it would be wise to buy the ticket then. But was told that nope, it was better to just get my reservation and come back to buy the ticket another time. Why? Because “it is better that way.” Fine. So I went back the next day but the power was out and couldn’t print up the tickets. Okay. So I went back two days before I was to fly to get my ticket. She confirms my reservation and asks, “would you like to buy the ticket today?” (as if buying the ticket at a later date was even an option since the office was going to be closed the next day). No worries, I walked out with my ticket and then just had to get a ticket on a shuttle to the airport.

So, the day before I need a shuttle to the airport, I go to a hotel shuttle office. Unfortunately they don’t have shuttles at the time I need to go. But, no worries, I can just show up the next day because there is another airline that sends a shuttle at that time. They pass through the hotel and if I just slip the driver $10 I can hop on, no worries. I asked if there for sure was going to be a shuttle, “Yes, there is always a shuttle. Come to the office and we can help you get on.”

Monday, the day I am flying to Ethiopia. I arrive at the shuttle office to wait for the shuttle. Good news, I am told, there are actually two shuttles so if the first one doesn’t show up (“but they always come”) I can get on the next one ½ hour later. Well, wouldn’t you know it, the first one doesn’t show. “No worries,” I am told…again, “you can just get on the next one. And see those people in that car out there? They are trying to do the same thing and if the shuttle doesn’t come maybe you can ask them for a ride.” Okay. Half-hour later, still no shuttle. After a phone call, it is discovered that there are no shuttles today. Before I leave, however, I try to solidify whether I will be able to catch a shuttle back from the airport on Friday. Here is the conversation as my bag is being loaded into the back of a SUV that belongs to two Kenyan UN workers that I am now hitching a ride from because there was no shuttle that day:

Me: so…I will be able to get a shuttle back on Friday?

Woman: yes, my rafiki, there will be no problem.

Me: is there anything I can do to confirm this?

Woman: no, no need to confirm.

Me: and there will be a shuttle on Friday?

Woman: well, yes of course! There are shuttles everyday.

Hmmm…..

0 comments: