Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Yellow Dress

I spoke at Hope College today and pulled out a show stopper...The Story of the Yellow Dress. Ahh yes...one of my more embarrassing moments from junior high helped me connect with some college folks today. When you start communicating about "the awkward years" everyone can relate. I relayed the story of my 6th grade all-city orchestra concert in which I donned The Yellow Dress. I was so proud of this dress, not even minding that it came from the Roger's Women's Big & Tall Shop (who was the one who thought that was a good name for a store?). I was simply pumped that it fit and (I thought) accentuated my thin(ner) waist line. In case you need more of a visual:

So there I was...in The Yellow Dress, making my way into the Holland Civic Center for the Springtime All-City Orchestra concert. Thinking I was looking festive (nothing says "spring" like a yellow dress!) when I looked around and realized there was a protocol to orchestra concerts: you wear black. Oops. Somehow I was the only one who missed the memo on that one. And when we were reviewing the VHS tape of the concert later it became even more evident to me how much I stood out--I was a bright yellow blob of a person in a see of black blobs. Some called me "Buttercup" for weeks.

You know, I remember at the time being quite deflated. And quite self-conscious. And, even a few years ago probably wouldn't have been gutsy enough to post this picture on the internet or in front of a bunch of college students. I am not sure where this new found freedom in flaunting my awkward years has come from. Perhaps it's because it always reminds me that things change. I've changed. And it reminds me that even when life is awkward, you will eventually grow out of it.

2 comments:

tommyd said...

As one who lived a majority of life with clothes from Rogers Big & Tall, I never thought of it quite like that for my little girl...loved you then; loved you now...

...but WHAT were we thinking with that 'lovely yellow dress'?!

td

Cotton Wool & Silk said...

You make me laugh OUT LOUD :)