Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"Yeah, I'm a pretty good shot..."

I have learned after camping with friends and family throughout the years that “camping” means different things to different people. So, when I was told that we were going “camping in the bush” this past weekend, I really had no idea what to expect. But let me tell you, if that was what is considered “camping” in Africa, anyone could be a camper.

The purpose of the weekend was to celebrate Paul & Elizabeth’s birthdays. So a group of about 15 of us went off into the bush of Africa to spend the weekend on a hunting block (chunk of land ‘owned’ by people who then run a hunting/safari company) eating good food, drinking good beer and shooting things. This particular hunting block is managed stateside by Paul’s brother, which means that I spent a weekend doing what people pay 1000s of bucks to do, and I didn’t have to pay one shilling. And since I am Dutch, this thought was almost as thrilling as seeing giraffes, zebra and elephants fairly up close and personal.

Anyway, one of the funniest moments (for me) was learning how to shoot a rifle. I have a vague memory of guns being banned as toys growing up (maybe this was just at my grandparents house) and hunting definitely is not a pastime in my family, so handling a gun was a new thing for me. I was mostly worried about bruising my shoulder or poking my eye out, and not too worried about hitting the target (no, not a live animal but a harmless cardboard box).



So after finally positioning myself correctly, I just let ‘er rip. I was just thankful to not have been thrown off the bench by the kickback, but wouldn’t you know it, I actually hit the target and somehow it ended up being the second best shot of the morning.

I should have had the sense to retire because then the shotgun came out. These are pictures of the target (water bottle propped up on a bush) before and after my shots.










Yep, they’re the same. It kind of reminded me of how I play golf: about once a year. Each time I do pretty decent so I decide not to test the waters by golfing again. This way I can claim, “yeah, I’m a pretty good golfer.” So when Shoshi said, “you were shooting really high” I responded, “Of course! It’s just like my golf swing. I thought I had my eye on the target, but then it just doesn’t work out the way I think it will…”

No worries, as they say. I didn’t want to show up the other men too much in one morning.

3 comments:

Kathryn Schoon-Tanis said...

did you find your giraffe???

tommyd said...

HOPEfully, you did find your giraffe - and only 'shot' him/her with your camera :)

...and, yeah, I'm sure that was your gramma's house with the gun ban!

td

mom said...

Camping!! That caught my attention! Just so you know, this is not your mother, this is auntie ann. It's a long story, but from here on out, I'm mom to you on these blogs. And hey, I wouldn't mind being the real thing to you either. :)