Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ziplocs = Luxury

This past year in our ethics class we talked a lot about habits. We thought a lot about why we do the things we do and the importance of being purposeful in the habits that we form. I don't remember if it was in this particular class, but at one point my friend Kate wrote a paper about how she washed out her Ziploc bags. She talked about how she learned this by watching her grandma, how she made a homemade 'drying line' for her Ziplocs and had some poetic line about how each time she washed out a bag she thought of caring for God's creation. While this may be true (the fact that she thought about it every time, not the fact that it is indeed better for creation), we did manage to find a way to tease her about it every now and again.

But I tell you what, I don't throw away Ziplocs too much anymore and I think about Kate (and God, creation, and all that other Save the Earth stuff, of course) every time I do.

Elizabeth and I were talking about washing Ziplocs this morning as she washed her Ziplocs. She can't believe that people throw out Ziplocs, but at the same time recognizes that she didn't think this way before moving to Africa where Ziplocs are scarce and dang expensive. They are somewhat of a luxury item. I wouldn't say the typical North American would think this way (Ziploc = Luxury). And I think that's okay. What I don't think is okay, however, is that we often don't care to make an extra effort to do something (i.e. walk or ride our bike instead of drive, recycle, eat only locally produced foods or wash our Ziplocs) until it is too pricey to do otherwise, convenient for us, or trendy to do so.

So, if you need tips on how to make your own drying line for Ziplocs, I am sure my friend Kate would be happy to help you.

7 comments:

kate said...

shout out!!! i love it. thanks for making me famous.

Anonymous said...

post the tips for the drying rack, please.

Anonymous said...

The drying line looks better than putting it over the sink handles or sprayer (something I occasionally do). :)

Kathryn Schoon-Tanis said...

i thought the decorative items on the window ledge in the kitche were for drying out Ziplocs. why didn't someone tell me?!?!
and, yes, let's make competitive blogging an olympic sport. i bet we can still make it in for next summer. hugs to you, my dear friend.
kst

Cotton Wool & Silk said...

Drying out Ziplocs is a noble endeavor. I am especially looking forward to winter because I have a good place in my new living quarters right outside my dining area door to let them dry -- and that freezing air KILLS any left over germs!

Anonymous said...

My daughter-in-law puts our entire family to shame with her plastic bag washing/re-using efforts. My rule of thumb is if you can no longer see through them, you can dump them. Kind of scary if you think about it, but kind of good.

your summer neighbor

zenner's said...

honestly... i hate washing out ziploc. maybe that's because i did it so much in the DR and it's an arse pain. i say... chuck 'em all. i don't use the foul things anymore. nope... its tuperware or foil for me, all the way baby!